Thursday, October 18, 2007

Stutter Stepping Again...

Just finished my first instant messaging chat. I'm amazed at how easy all three of the new technologies have been. No reason at all to be intimidated. It's fun, too! But I have to say that I don't get why someone would instant message instead of picking up the phone and talking with someone or if the person is in the same office, getting up and walking to their desk or office. Probably a sign of my generation and my social work training but I'm much more comfortable speaking with a person.

Did call my husband to see if he has a Google account - he doesn't. Will make sure he gets one so we can try this out while we're at work.

I've done a few Meebo reference questions. I think the reference interview is a bit more difficult in terms of figuring out what the patron really wants to know. I'm missing all the visual cues that help me interpret what's going on. Also, we think so much faster than we talk and even faster than we type so it seems to take a long time to go through the process of identifying the information need.

1 comment:

The Skokie Ten said...

Glad to read that you've done a few meebo reference questions. You'll be an ace when we start using IM Ref in YS!

:-)

Ruth